Thursday, April 17, 2014

A Hangover With No Alcohol?

Finally, the trilogy has come to an end. The crazy adventure of four guys is now done forever.

In this finale to the classic movies, Phil, Doug, Stu, and the rest of Alan's family decide Alan should get treated for his mental problems. On their way to Arizona, the wolfpack is kidnapped and taken to a gangster named Marshall (John Goodman). Marshall is looking for the one and only Mr. Chow (Ken Jeong). As collateral, Marshall takes Doug until Phil, Stu, and Alan find the escaped convict that is Chow. Oh, and did I mention Chow stole $21 million in gold?

The Hangover Part III  was a disappointment in all aspects. I expected a hilarious film with great actors. All I got was dry-humorless comedy. I have to give credit to the writers though. The plot overall was clever. Having it all tie back to the first first movie was a smart move. However, even though the story line proved swift, it didn't incorporate certain traits of humor that the previous movies contained. I mean, why call it a 'hangover' if they don't even get drunk?

The producers should have known from previous experience how much they needed to improve. The Hangover Part II barely delivered with critics and that was because it resembled the first movie. I can understand why the writers created a whole different story instead of the traditional "three guys get drunk and one disappears" plot. But for Pete's sake at least make it a bit funny!

Zach Galifianakis's role of Alan was just lame. In fact, Alan seemed "a few screws short" throughout the movie. Nothing like his performance in the previous films. There were some hilarious scenes such as the clip where Phil (Bradley Cooper), Stu (Ed Helms), and Alan go to a "Gold for Pawn" shop in Vegas where Alan meets the love of his life, Cassie (Melissa McCarthy). Let's just say is an awkward-gross kind of chemistry going on.

I expected a lot more from the end to such an epic trilogy but they left me hanging. I laughed maybe four times throughout the whole movie. But, if you are a strong Hangover fan, I suggest you watch it because you might get a laugh out of it. I know I couldn't. The Hangover Part III gets a 5/10.


No comments :

Post a Comment