Friday, April 25, 2014

Yay for Democracy!

I am normally not the type of guy that spends most of his time watching documentaries. So when my history teacher informed us that we were going to watch a documentary on the Arab Spring, I was not excited. At all.

Little did I know, two minutes in and I would already be hooked. A Whisper to a Roar starts out with an animated segment that symbolizes the fight for democracy and how it isn't the job of one person to stand up for others, but job of a nation united. The film documents the series of events that have taken place in the countries of Malaysia, Egypt, Ukraine, and Zimbabwe that have led to the fight for freedom from an authoritarian government.

From a Facebook page in Egypt, to a student-led protest in Venezuela, A Whisper to a Roar demonstrates  just how powerful the people of a country can be. It's a story of citizens discovering the true power they hold and how much influence they have in the shaping of their country. And honestly, it's pretty awesome.

This movie is a great example of how much a government is afraid of their people. They do all they can to stop the opposition forces. Time after time the government oppresses their people through murders, "non-functional" polling stations, and even chemical warfare. But no matter how hard they try, the people fight back and keep defending the human rights they deserve.

Overall, A Whisper to a Roar is an excellent documentary that will inform you of the struggles going on in the world. I did not know that Malaysia was going through such great change; nor did I know Zimbabwe had such a malevolent President. Frankly, I didn't know any of these things were going on! But I'm glad I watched it. The only thing that denotes this film is the way it ends.

Most of these uprisings are current events (especially Ukraine). But that doesn't mean the film has to end as a cliff hanger. The overall goal of executing an overall sum to the documentary was done poorly. I sat there saying to myself, "That's it?"

I highly recommend you see A Whisper to a Roar. It may not be at the top of your list, but it should definitely be on the list of films to watch. If it weren't for that crappy ending, I'd give it a higher score; but for now, it's a 7.8/10.


No comments :

Post a Comment